Friday, January 29, 2010

Day Two-A Whole New You

You know, I was worried when I came up with the idea to start blogging about my life changing journey that I would feel that my creativity would be stifiled.  I mean, family and friends would be reading all of the good, bad, and ugly (no comments please).  What if I start to edit myself and only tell the good things?  But as you can see from my day two title, I'm as creative as ever.  :)

Seriously, how does one go about changing themselves when they don't know what is wrong?  I mean I knew my weight was an issue, but what is it about me that makes people call when they need something but never just to talk or why aren't guys interested in me?  So, a couple of weeks ago, I asked some people what they thought my faults were (my mother included), and I was surprised by the answers.  Let's face it, I knew that my weight was an issue (at least in my mind).  Even if people think you look good at the weight you are, if you don't feel comfortable in your own clothes (or skin for that matter) it does come across in your personality.  However, I wanted more information.  Where is a good gay friend when you need him? :)  The one that tells you if you wear a certain outfit one more time they will put you on the TV show What Not to Wear.  So, I was hoping to find that same brutal honesty from the people I love and respect the most...my family and friends.

I was amazed!  The traits that I saw as a positive some saw as a negative.  I was so sure that the overall complaint was that I talked too much (I still think that is an issue that no one wanted to mention).  Overall, the consensus was that I was too nice.  I try to make everyone's lives so easy, and those people feel guility taking what is so freely offered.  It drives them nuts (and it is not a good trait to have in a relationship)!  Also, I ask too many questions.  This one I can totally see.  I realize that I ask questions not necessarily because I don't know the answer, but because I want to do things right the first time or because it is sometimes the only conversation starter I can think off.  They also mentioned how I dress.  I love my sweats, my ponytails, and my make-up free days...but I'm SINGLE.  First impressions are key, and you never know where you will meet someone.

So I must thank everyone for their honesty.  It was hard to hear, but exactly what I needed to hear.  Note to self, when asking people what they don't like about you, also find out what they do like. :)  Seriously, this was a great first step!  I'm going to try to talk less which curbs the impulse to ask questions.  I'm also going to try not to volunteer my time to family and friends as much...I'll let them ask.  Finally, I will start to dress nicer.  Not necessarily to catch a man (that is a bonus), but so that I can start feeling good about me.  Let's face it...the key to a whole new you is being able to accept yourself regardless of what others think of you.

Thank you everyone that has called or written!  While I'm traveling this journey alone, it is nice to know that I have a road crew willing to travel with me.

3 comments:

  1. Don't change too much...you are well loved and liked. Tweaking is one thing, but don't change the essence of you, which is caring, loving, and helping. Waiting to be asked might not be bad, but don't change your nature.

    I will say, yoga pants and sweats are my favorite too, but on days that I make more of an effort, I feel like my mood is better and I feel more "together"...no one notices how I look, but I bet my kids and husband notice that I seem a bit happier.

    I am really encouraged by your tackling of this! You are just great!

    p.s. my lack of calling has everthing to do with my three crying in the back ground and NOT you talking too much!!! But I'll try harder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry Kristen! I don't plan to change too much. I'm just going to fine tune my life a little. Trust me, I'll always be a talker, but I also want to be a better listener. Thanks for your kind words & thoughts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post girl! I like the way you are approaching all this. You are very brave to ask these questions and be willing to try to make some adjustments based on the answers.
    I think one thing is you need to remember to love yourself like the rest of us love you.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete