Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 25 - You're going to what?

I have decided to give up my dream of being a poet. I know what you are thinking...but your last post was so inspiring. But alas, I do not think that poetry greatness is in my future. Instead, I have decided to focus on my body. Scary thought! Thanks to my friend and fellow blogger, Kristen, I have become a fan of the Couch to 5K Running Plan (and I mean fan with lowercase and very tiny writing).

Now as Kristen was first explaining the plan to me, I thought she was crazy. I mean who runs for enjoyment (except for crazy, I love to run people)? Let's face it, people that run, do it to stay in shape, but also because they like it. Boggles the mind doesn't it. I mean, I can see wanting to run if there is an objective that forces that type of activity. You know what I mean...playing sports, chasing your kids, running after a man, or chasing an ice cream truck. You know, a goal! Let's face it, Julia Roberts didn't find happiness in the Runaway Bride until she hung up her running shoes.

So I have decided that maybe the reason I do not have a man in my life is because I can't catch one. Maybe it's the shoes. Ok, that didn't sound right! Maybe, the reason I don't have a man in my life is because I'm so insecure in my own self image right now (working on it) and others are aware of it. That option certainly makes more sense, but I'd rather blame it on the running! So, I'm going to make the ultimate sacrifice for my goal to lose weight. I'm going to "gulp" try to start running. The plan sounds simple, so we'll see how it goes. To aid me in my journey, I will end today with a short prayer.

Lord, give me the strength to get on the treadmill and run for fun. May my feet be nimble, my feet be quick, please let me jump over a candlestick. Let it be fun, and help me to run, toward a goal and not in a hole. Give me the will and give me the grace not to fall flat on my face. This is my prayer this is my plea, please let there be ice cream for me. (Ice cream...Amen)

Ok, maybe there still is a tiny poet in me trying to break free. I swear, I'm stopping now. :)

From your favorite couch potato that hopes to eventually run a 5K instead of rolling one...Amy

3 comments:

  1. YES!!! LOVE IT! I am SO excited that you are my new virtual running partner! You have to now add to your posts which week and day you are on in the plan! woo hoo!!!

    Amy, you will really amaze yourself with this, it is so easy and a no-brainer, and before you no it, you are running a mile or more...the workouts change enough to keep you from being bored, which is nice.

    I just got new running shoes today and downloaded some new music to move to! That makes me look forward to running. For each workout I complete, I earn a new song download
    (from: me
    to: me)

    I like to make my playlists last 30 minutes or so and when the last song plays, I AM DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay Amy, I did my first workout to this program.........wish me luck. I have always wanted to run a 5K, maybe now I will be able to. Only thing is, I can't run in the cold so for now it will be the treadmill in the basement watching Andy Griffith reruns!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! We can have our own running team. Who wants to design the shirts?

    ReplyDelete