Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day 29 - Do you know what my problem is?

As I was writing my day 29 title, I thought that this is a very appropriate question to put to my readers. Then, I reviewed who my readers are and realized that maybe this wasn't the best question. I mean I can just see the comments and phone calls from all of you that would love to contribute. :) So instead of you answering the question, I will. My problem is I still don't have an endorsement deal for the Olympics!!! Can you believe it? It boggles the mind! I mean, there has to be a company out there that wants a complete unknown, with no athletic talent to represent them during these exciting times. So, I realized that my problem is that I have not had an Olympic biography story done during these games. Quite the oversight (plus it has to be better than the story NBC has been doing on bears in Canada and dog sledding activities). So here goes...

I grew up in a battle torn, country town in Kansas. (Ok, actually it is a small town and the only battles are border battles in football and basketball, but I have to sell my story). My home could be found on some of the mean streets in our town. (Well, I grew up on the MAIN streets of our town as my mom and dad liked to move a lot. Does that count?). By the time I was in junior high and high school I was fighting multiple addictions. Unfortunately, I didn't stand a prayer against my "drugs" of choice as the craving is in my blood. Yep, I'm Irish and Italian. I don't stand a prayer against potatoes and pasta. It has taken me many years to try to overcome my addiction to carbs, and it is a battle I still fight today. I then moved on to harder "drugs"...diet pop and ice cream. Yes, I moved on to the hard stuff. Sadly, this addiction has lasted into my adult life and puts my Olympics dreams at risk. Thankfully, I'm starting to turn things around. As the Olympics draw to a close, I'm closer than ever to achieving my own Olympic goal. The Americans are behind me 100% (my blog isn't internationally known yet). As I near the conclusion of the Olympic games and reaching one of my short term goals, I realize that my story has motivated a nation (actually, I've motivated a small few but does quantity really matter?). It is knowing that I'm the poster child for my Olympic games that keeps me focused and driven. I can succeed and I will win!!!!

Seriously, it brings a tear to the eye doesn't it? To know, that most of you have unknowingly enabled my addictions by making great food and sweets. But don't feel guilty. I have been great at hiding my problems. Who am I kidding, I weigh 190...there is nowhere to hide that. :) Seriously, it is because of all of you that for the first time, I truly feel motivated to lose the weight. I have started and failed at dieting many times, but for the first time, I know I can succeed! Thank you for your support (since no company or industry will support me). It is greatly appreciated!!!

From someone with another sad Olympic tale...Amy

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you Julie! It was actually supposed to be yesterday, but I got busy. So, I think my second workout (running wise) will be Friday with the third on Sunday. Then next week, I'll run on Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday. Right now, it all revolves around basketball. Once basketball is over, I'll be a Monday, Wednesday, Friday girl. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you are great! Again, another good read. The blog looks fantastic too!

    I have to tell you that my friend, Amy, is a fan of yours and reads your blog daily like I do. We are workout buddies and are both impressed with your hard work and humor :) Maybe when you visit next we can get your autograph!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you wish! I don't give autographs out to just anyone! I'm glad I can lighten your day and your friends as well. Thanks for being my long distance workout buddy!!! I hope we can see each other sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete