Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 27 - I'm so out of shape

Yesterday, I had an epiphany...I'm out of shape! Ok, so I've always known. I mean the 190 pounds kind of gave it away, but still, I'm soooo out of shape. Yesterday, I started the first workout in the Couch to 5K Program. Let's see, how do I explain my experience? To best sum up my experience, I would have to compare me jogging to the Olympic Freestyle Aerials.

You start out slow as you approach the ramp(warm-up), you pick up speed as you go up the ramp (jogging for one minute), and then you do what most consider crazy twists and turns in the air (crazy twists is the equivalent to the idea of me jogging) only to pray that you stick the landing and don't fall on your face (my jello legs hopefully holding up so I can get off the treadmill). As you can see, the activities are quite similar. To be honest, it wasn't too bad. I did start out way too fast which I was paying for by the end of the evening. I ended up with sore knees, but in the long run it will be worth it (see I'm already incorporating running into my daily life).

So, tomorrow is medal day!!! Hopefully, I will reach the 189 pound range and receive my gold medal. If I do, I have decided that I will need to give myself a little gift for reaching this goal. I'm thinking I will buy myself something in a gray color, that's a little bulky, and makes me feel comfy. Yep, I'm buying myself a furnace! Oh, I hope I reach my goal!!! On the other hand, the cold will keep me moving. Anyway, it isn't necessarily the gift I wanted to give myself, but a gift is a gift. Here's hoping for a happy tomorrow!

From your gotta keep moving to stay warm girl (I can feel the pounds melting away as we speak)...Amy

6 comments:

  1. Yeah for you! I know it isn't easy, but just think of all those women with great bodies from running....wish I was one of them. LOL From where will you get your inspiration once the Olympics are over? I can hardly wait to see!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. from one set of sore knees to another, start off slow and make sure your shoes have ample support...maybe new shoes should be your goal gift?!
    proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks my fellow runners! I'll be honest, I felt like I should start jogging slow. You know, watch others do it and absorb the exercise through osmosis. But, you two were doing so well, I felt like I needed to actually run myself. Jeez, thanks guys! :) Seriously, we need t-shirts!!! Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shirt idea....you are so creative! I too started off slow. Didn't have sore knees, but my "not so new" shoes don't have a lot of miles on them! Maybe that helped! Got my second workout done today. Feels good. Maybe you, Kristen and I should meet halfway and run a 5K!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the shirt slogan! So great! I am doing another workout tonight and taking tomorrow off.

    by the way, I consider "running" anything that isn't walking or crawling...jogging is much more of an accurate account of what I am doing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! My goal to be a decent jogger is to at least stay with all of the little kids in the family when they run. :) If, and I do mean if Julie, I ever decide to run a 5K it better be in a cool month. There is no way I would run outside in August. :)

    ReplyDelete